- 4 large cans of tomato puree (1 lb. 13 oz)
- 4 cans of tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 16 oz of water (fill 2 of the tomato sauce cans with water)
- 3 cans of mushrooms
- Parsley flakes
- 5 lbs ground beef (80/20)
- 5 tsp salt
- 5 tsp black pepper
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups of Italian bread crumbs
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 can of tomato juice (12 oz)
- Minced onion
1. To a very large pot add the tomato puree, tomato sauce, water, mushrooms and parsley and bring to a boil.
2. In a large bowl mix the hamburger, salt, pepper, eggs, Italian bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, and tomato juice until well combined. Use a large fork or spoon and don’t handle any longer than necessary or the meat will get tough.
3. Roll hamburger mixture into 2 inch balls.
4. In a large frying pan over medium/high heat sprinkle the bottom of the pan with minced onion.
5. Add meatballs and brown on all sides. Brown meatballs in batches being sure not to overcrowd the pan.
6. Placed browned meatballs into sauce pot (do not add the grease accumulated from frying).
7. Once all meatballs have been browned and added to the sauce, simmer for at least an hour.
Source: Family friend